Module 8: Infection, Inflammation and Metabolic Disease
This Module addresses the different pathologies which can be encountered.
Examination: Once you have completed all Lecture Assessments successfully, contact support to arrange your 1-hour online examination.
Tutorial: Once you have completed your Module Examination, you will be eligible for the Module Tutorial - contact support to book onto the next one available.
About this module
This module addresses the different pathologies which can be encountered. Infections are categorised by the differentiating criteria of specific (tuberculosis) and non-specific infections. Indications for the different treatment modalities are discussed and the interdisciplinary character of this pathology is emphasised. A clear differentiation is made between the treatment of osteomyelitis of the spine and the epidural abscess.
Inflammatory disorders, specifically rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis, are presented with a focus of early rheumatological diagnosis and pharmacological treatment. The fully fledged deformity in late stage ankylosing spondylitis is alluded to but is dealt with more comprehensively in Module 4, Adult Deformity.
- Understand biology and pathophysiology of inflammatory and infectious conditions of the spinal column.
- Enable appropriate ethology based imagining and laboratory work- up to establish case based differential diagnosis.
- Formulate appropriate evidence based medical and surgical management strategies for inflammatory and infectious disorders of the spinal column, including indication and techniques for urgent surgical intervention.
Module StructureThis Module consists of 18 online lectures, a Module Examination and a face to face Module Tutorial.
Specific Target Group
- Spine Fellows* - In Orthopaedic or Neurosurgical services or independent spine services
- Practising spine surgeons - Independent or in Orthopaedic or Neurosurgical services for a potential recertification
- Orthopaedic or Neurosurgical residents - Who want to expand their general knowledge
- Non-surgical spine specialists - Interested in expanding their spine knowledge
|CME Credits:||39 CME credits available|
|Main Subject:||Infection, inflammation and metabolic disease|
|Duration:||The Module is available for 4 months from attending the first Lecture|
|Tuition Language:||Online content is in English, Tutorials can be presented in English or the local language|
|Fees:||Fees advised when enrolment opens|
Prerequisites:Enrolment on the Post-graduate Spine Surgery Education Programme
Mode of Examination:
Each Lecture has a final, multiple choice question (MCQ) online Examination.
At the completion of all the Module Lectures, a MCQ Module Examination is taken online, during attendance at a Module Tutorial.
Register and login to the platform for more information about the course, view overview pages for all 180 Lectures, as well as view pricing information and special offers. You can also activate a Demo Lecture - one full Lecture from our Spine Surgery Education Programme. Complete the Demo Lecture successfully to obtain 3 CME Credits.
For more information about eccElearning, the courses we offer and the service we provide, please view our FAQs page.
eccElearning Spine Surgery Courses
Future Business Centre,
Cambridge, CB4 2HY, UK